My husband’s work involves a lot of traveling every alternative week for about a week at a time to the friendly city, Port Elizabeth. Both our boys have already spread their wings and this is our first empty nest year. The FM/CFS and safety considerations do not allow me to stay home alone for such a long time; so I usually accompany him.
My mom, brother, sister-in-law, my precious little niece as well as our two boys stay in PE ; so, I consider it a blessing to be able to visit them so often. I have one big problem though; travelling has never been kind to my Fibro! It has often sent me straight into the arms of a nasty flare and to bed for a few days. Now I plan carefully and that allows me to function better and to spent more quality time with my dear family.
After many trails and errors I am able to share what really worked for me.
1. Three days before departure : Rest, rest and rest! I only do the necessary household chores and pace myself . I get better and better at this pacing thing? At long last! This is a proven energy saver for many sufferes.
2. On the road : We always stop for a brunch break at a beautiful country craft shop and restaurant . We are already good friends with the owners. This is also stretching time to loosen those cramped muscle and visiting the restroom.
3. Accommodation : During each visit we try to stay at only one family member’s house and rather take turns in doing them the honors! This eliminates unnecessary packing and unpacking; a terrible energy consumer. I have to mention that packing is NOT one of my favorite activities!
4. Daytime rest. : I make an afternoon rest for about an hour a priority. I usually lie down and use this time for sweet communion with our Lord. That enables me to spent more quality time with my loved ones in the evenings.
5. Domestic chores. : I offer to do the less strenuous chores; cooking instead of cleaning house. I enjoy treating my family to a home cooked meal in the evenings. I so enjoy playing with my niece and that gives her parents time to do their own thing. As far as I am concerned, she has been a little angel in our Pappa’s heart before her birth.
6. Laundry. : I try to keep up to date with the laundry as much as possible to avoid being overwhelmed by an enormous load once back home.
7. Honesty. : I am honest and open towards my family members about the limitations this illness puts on me. If I need time out, they understand and are so supportive when I need to stay in bed for an afternoon perhaps.
8. Abiding in Jesus. : Our Lord promised to always sustain us with His love and grace, but we need to stay in Him. I have asked Him to teach me how to do that and have found that He loves doing so!
I am convinced that these suggestions can be helpful during holiday times as well.
Happy and save traveling.
22 thoughts on “Traveling Tips”
I like the colours of the web site, subdued, sedative shades properly complement the actual mood on your bookings! Not once, not really twice, as i had been heavy moment, We go through your personal old articles and reviews also it often enhanced my very own feeling!
I’ve read a few good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make such a fantastic informative site.
Great post. I am facing a couple of these problems.
I was very thrilled to find this site on yahoo.I wanted to say thanks to you with regard to this excellent article!! I certainlyappreciated every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you post.
Generally I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.
I discovered your weblog website on google and verify a number of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the superb operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of ahead to reading extra from you afterward!…
Excellent website. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you in your sweat!
well I sincerly think you have a great blog! thanks alot!
you got a very wonderful website, Sword lily I found it through yahoo.
I see your point, and I entirely appreciate your post. For what its worth I will tell all my friends about it, quite resourceful. Later.
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.
Hi I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was browsing on Google for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.
I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Superb work!
I was curious if you ever considered changing the page layout of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?
Hi, sorry for not answering you all personally,but I truly appreciate all your encouragement. This illness that I suffer from sometimes makes concentrating very difficult.
Blessings to you all.
Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the net. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)
My partner and I stumbled over here different page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.
You made certain good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most folks will go along with with your blog.
I just want to mention I am just all new to blogs and honestly savored your web-site. More than likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You absolutely come with superb stories. Bless you for sharing with us your website page.
Thank you for visiting my blog and your encouragement.
thanks for writing about it… lista de email lista de email lista de email lista de email lista de email
Thanks for visiting my blog again. I really appreciate that! I hope you find these tips helpful.